Three major types of skin cancers are:
• Basal cell carcinoma (BCC)
• Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC)
If detected early, these skin cancers can be treated with very successful results. Methods of treatment include surgery, chemotherapy topical creams and curettage.
We strongly encourage regular skin exams and skin cancer screenings, using sunscreen and other sun-protective methods (hats, SPF lip-balm), avoiding the sun during peak hours and performing monthly self skin checks at home.
Some risk factors for developing skin cancer include:
• History of severe sunburns
• Fair skin
• Use of tanning beds
• Hobbies with high sun exposure (golf, tennis, skiing and lifeguarding)
• Working outdoors
• Family history of skin cancer